NJSBA Nominating Committee Extends Deadline for At-Large Trustee Positions
NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ - New Jersey State Bar Association’s Nominating Committee has extended the deadline for qualified members to apply for three At-Large Trustee positions, which will be open in May 2010. The reason for the extension is to clarify who is eligible to be considered for the positions. Pursuant to the NJSBA Bylaws, the At-Large Trustees represent segments of the membership not adequately represented on the Board of Trustees, as designated by the Board. For purposes of filling the three open positions, the Board has designated the following groups as underrepresented: NJSBA members of Hispanic and Asian-Pacific backgrounds, and members who are over 70 years old.
Other At-Large Trustee seats (not open at this time) are currently filled by a member of African-American background and a member of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community.
Criteria: The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria to evaluate all candidates interested in any of the available positions:
1. Adherence to the highest standards of fairness, professional responsibility, civility and professionalism;
2. The quality of prior service to the organized Bar;
3. Prior or present leadership positions and degree of effectiveness in these positions;
4. Dedication, capacity for hard work, and ability to fulfill all relevant duties without undue burden on the candidate’s practice or, indeed, on that candidate or his or her family;
5. Awareness of the NJSBA’s internal structure, in particular the duties for the position sought;
6. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and understand extensive quantities of information;
7. Demonstrated common sense, good judgment and the ability to articulate positions intelligently;
8. Especially for officer positions, demonstrated administrative capability and experience; and
9. Recognition and understanding of the essential issues facing the organized Bar, the profession, and capacity to lead in a creative, responsible fashion.
Filing Deadline: In order for each candidate to qualify for consideration by the Nominating Committee, his or her letter of intention for the elective position sought should be received by the Committee no later than 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 6, 2010. To facilitate a response, we ask that candidates include an email address, if available, in their letter of intent. All letters should be directed to:
Frank J. Hoerst, Esq., Chair, Nominating Committee
New Jersey State Bar Association
New Jersey Law Center
One Constitution Square
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1520
Attn: Angela C. Scheck, Executive Director
Deadline for Candidate Questionnaire and Candidate Endorsement Letters: Please note that the Nominating Committee has established 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 13, 2010 as the deadline for submission of both the candidate questionnaire (which will be distributed to all candidates following receipt of letter of intention) and letters of endorsement.
Please direct any questions to Angela Scheck, Executive Director, at 732-937-7500, firstname.lastname@example.org.