Agenda & Accomplishments
In 1998 the Commission received the American Bar Association's Gambrell Award in recognition of outstanding achievement in the design and implementation of a professionalism program.
The Commission has developed or participated in the following initiatives and programs:
- Professionalism Day - A designated day in state and federal courts, on which judges and lawyers attend continuing legal education seminars focusing on ethics and professionalism.
- Presentation of professionalism awards to deserving lawyers from across the state.
- Principles of Professionalism - guidelines for lawyers and judges.
- Professionalism Counseling Program - for use by county bar associations to address situations of egregious or persistent unprofessional behavior.
- Lawyers Pledge - a supplement to the traditional oath used to swear-in new lawyers, the Pledge stresses professional responsibility and positive values.
- Judges Education - participation in the annual Judicial College for state court judges, and at training for newly appointed judges.
- Educational efforts - participation in bar association, law firm, law school, and inns of court seminars.
- Articles - periodically issue positions and articles on professionalism issues.
- Outreach - continue to meet with individuals and groups from throughout New Jersey's legal community, including federal and state judges, and managing partners from major law firms.
Further information about the Commission and its work may be obtained from the Executive Director, New Jersey Law Center, One Constitution Square, New Brunswick, NJ 08901.